Want to elope to New York, but don’t know where to begin?
That’s what we are here for!
① Fill out the short online form
City Clerk’s Office in Downtown Manhattan & Its Website
The first thing you should do is fill out the online application “City Clerk Online” Keep in mind that the application expires after 21 days (you must be at the City Clerk Office in person before that happens). Take 10 minutes to enter your and your partner's personal information and after submitting it you will receive a confirmation number. Don’t forget to print the page with the confirmation number (in red) and bring it with you to New York.
② New York City: Arrival and a Trip to the City Clerk’s Office
Next, you will need to come to New York!!! Woohoo! Once you two arrive, go to the Office of the City Clerk (located at 141 Worth Street) and bring:
• The confirmation number
• Your passports
• A credit card or money order for $35
(can be obtained at a nearby 7-11 store)
• A water bottle (the line could take longer than you think)
Wait in line, receive your marriage license, check your license for typos and take it with you.
After it has been 24 hours since you received your marriage license, your ceremony can be performed and you have two main options.
③ Choose where you want to have your wedding ceremony
Option A-Wedding at the City Clerk’s Office
• Come back to the City Clerk Office with a witness (passport and 21+ y.o.), your passports and the marriage license.
• The wait in line is long and can take up to a couple of hours.
• The ceremony takes about 5 minutes once it's your turn (this ceremony cannot be customizable).
• And just like that you two are now married!
Option B-Wedding Anywhere in New York!!! (almost anywhere)
• Hire a One Wedding House wedding planner, and an officiant to perform your ceremony in any public space (a permit is required for certain locations). Come with a witness (passport and 21+ y.o.) or have One Wedding House provide you with one, your passports and the marriage license.
• Ask us for our favorite New York wedding ceremony locations (we have a whole list of favorites). After the ceremony, you have to return the paperwork back to the City Clerk’s office. Your Certificate of Marriage will be mailed to you within a month of your wedding date
Things to keep in mind when thinking about eloping to New York
*After your wedding ceremony you might need to receive an additional document, called an apostille that will make your marriage legal in your home country. This will take additional time while you are still in NY.
We recommend that you check with your local governance prior to coming.
*When filling out the paperwork you will be asked to list all prior marriages & include your previous spouse’s full name and the date the divorce decree was granted. You also have to provide the city, state, and country where the divorce was issued.
Whether you get married at the City Clerk’s Office or in Central Park, on Top of the Rock or in DUMBO, you still get married in NEW YORK! And trust us, you will want to have photos to hang in your home or gift to family and friends. So hire a photographer (yes, we have some talented ones on our team as well) who will capture all those special memories.
And if after reading this post you have so questions, you know who to ask.
We are happy to make your New York wedding dreams - a reality!
The One Wedding House Team